CONTACT MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE
SSB 5221 & SSB 5538
Please notice that our bills, SSB 5221, concerning the disposition of tenant property placed upon the nearest public property, and SSB 5538, concerning procedures and requirements relating to the death of a tenant, are scheduled for Executive Session (vote out of committee) next week on Wednesday, April 1 at 8:00 am. in the House Judiciary Committee.
I would encourage our members to contact the House Judiciary Committee members asking them to support these bills.
SSB 5221 – Tenant property, disposition (WROA BILL):
If a landlord places an evicted tenant's property on the nearest public property because the tenant has objected to the landlord storing his or her property, or the landlord elects to place the tenant's property on the public property, the landlord may dispose of the tenants property, at the expense of the tenant, if the tenant's property has remained on the public property for a period of not less than five days.
(Representatives Johnson, Muri, Stanford & Senators Benton, Roach
SSB 5538 – Deceased tenant property (WROA BILL):
Establishes procedures for the disposition of the personal property of a residential tenant upon the death of the tenant. Requires a tenant, upon written request of a landlord, to:
(1) Provide the landlord with the name, address, e-mail address, and telephone number of a designated person to contact in the event of the tenant's death; and
(2) Sign a statement authorizing the landlord, in the event of the tenant's death, to settle certain matters relating to the decedent's rental of the property.
(Representatives Rodne, Wylie, Shea, Johnson, Muri, Stanford, Jinkins& Senators Angel, Sheldon)
o Judiciary - 4/1/2015 8:00:00 AM
o Full Committee
House Hearing Rm A
John L. O'Brien Building
Olympia, WA 98504
1. SB 5101 - Modifying mental status evaluation provisions.
2. SB 5125 - Increasing district court civil jurisdiction.
3. E2SSB 5177 - Improving timeliness of competency evaluation and restoration services.
4. SSB 5221 - Concerning the disposition of tenant property placed upon the nearest public property. SUPPORT
5. SB 5233 - Concerning notice against trespass.
6. ESB 5262 - Releasing juvenile case records to the Washington state office of civil legal aid.
7. SSB 5411 - Providing liability immunity for local jurisdictions when wheeled all-terrain vehicles are operated on public roadways.
8. SSB 5538 - Concerning procedures and requirements relating to the death of a tenant. SUPPORT
9. E2SSB 5649 - Concerning the involuntary treatment act.
10. SB 5793 - Providing credit towards child support obligations for veterans benefits.
11. SSB 6019 - Addressing adjudicative proceedings by state agencies.
Public Affairs of Washington, LLC